Sunday, May 25, 2008

Soo....what's the deal with people not liking summer time? HELLOO, summer VACATION, anyone?! I hear people all the time complaining about summer and having their kids home all day, and I don't get it. Now, before you think that I'm some kind of self-righteous person who loves being with my kids ALL THE TIME, and doesn't need a brake, let me assure you that that isn't the case. I love my alone time, when the house is quiet, and I have no qualms about sending rambunctious children outside to play BY THEMSELVES to expend their energy. And when they've tired themselves out playing, I have no qualms about putting on a movie to enjoy when the afternoon has turned unbearably hot. But Caroline's last day of school was Friday, and I couldn't be more happy. I love not having to be places except when I want to, being able to plan my own schedule, spend an hour or two reading aloud to my children b/c we can...etc. And I'm so excited to have two whole months of no homework, deadlines, making lunches at 6:30 a.m. etc. I love hanging out our neighborhood pool, getting together with friends on weeknights, and going for ice cream after dinner. Part of it too, is that I love hot weather, and I know a lot of people do not. I detest being cold, and I just feel so ALIVE in the warmth of the summer. Am I crazy? I think too, that we will have a good balance of free time and planned activities to preserve everyone's sanity. I'm sure by August and as this pregnancy progresses, I'll be ready for structure, and excited about the start of the new school year(and getting closer to delivery!), but for now, I'm relishing summertime, and all the things that represents to me.

2 comments:

Katherine said...

SO TRUE! That is the great thing about having little kids - I rarely HAVE to be anywhere! :) I've gotten a good balance of play groups or activities and staying at home and makes life extra fun. If only we had a pool in our neighborhood! Of course, since neither kid can swim, that would probably only be trouble anyway. :)

e.c. said...

Yeah, the pool's only fun at this age if you feel like being active and in the water the whole time. I definitely do NOT this summer, being pregnant and all, and Andrew's the monkey wrench being 2 and all. I could totally take a book and just read and keep my eye on the other two, but with him, I'd have to been ready to get wet at all times...I don't even have a maternity suit yet. *sigh* Too bad I can't afford a nanny every afternoon :)